Need Help With Editing, Writing Coaching, Publishing, Book Design?

• Need Help With Editing, Writing Coaching, Publishing, Book Design?

Posted by Roberta Wennik on August 28, 2018 at 7:08 pm

After having been published by mainstream publishers, as well as having self-published, I created Affordable Editing Services to help other dietitians see their vision of writing a book, a blog, a podcast, and online courses come to life. I encourage dietitians to showcase their expertise through writing because they can touch more people that way.

All of these avenues of engagement give you, the dietitian, the credibility, along with something to wave around at talks you give and products to sell from your website. As we have seen working with so many clients at AES, you can’t do it alone. It’s why we like to say, “No author should be without an editor and coach!” When you’re so close to your own work, it’s hard to see the mistakes (sometimes it can be as simple as writing “you” instead of “your”; and, then again, sometimes not so simple.). Also, when you’re so knowledgeable on your topic, you may not appreciate the lack of clarity in your writing to someone who is not familiar with your subject.

Check us out, contact us, and let’s talk to see how we can be of help to you.

Roberta Schwartz Wennik, MS, RDN
    Advantage Diets – Lose weight according to your personality type.
    Affordable Editing Services – “No author should be without an editor and coach. Let us be yours!”
    Roberta Wennik replied 5 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Nathan Justice

November 27, 2018 at 3:02 pm

I’m very interested in writing my own cookbook or E-book once I have graduated and completed my internship. This all sounds right up my alley! Thank you for posting this. I look forward to using this as a resource when the time comes!

Nathan Justice
    The Ohio State University
    Bachelor of Nutrition Science class of 2019
    (614) 516-8597
    • Roberta Wennik

November 28, 2018 at 10:30 pm

Hi Nathan,

What is your emphasis within your nutrition major?  Different schools offer different areas of focus (e.g. Culinary Nutrition).  The only focus offered when I got my master’s was Clinical.  You must enjoy cooking.  Any favorite cuisines?

I actually had a website, Spin-a-Recipe, online for a very long time.  I created the spin-for-recipes concept back in 2006.  However, the programming was written in what is now considered an archaic version of php.  It would have cost me more than I had wanted to spend to update it.  I share this with you because I understand what it takes to write recipes, let alone create them.

I am a writer at heart.  If you visit my website at http://www.advantagediets.com you’ll see my books that relate to weight-loss and personality typing (based on the MBTI®).

You’re obviously not that far off from graduating.  Does your nutrition program include an internship or do you have to seek that out on your own?  I was reading recently that AND is going to require a master’s degree to sit for the exam.  Hopefully you can sit for the exam before those changes become the rule.

What’s so exciting for you, graduating at this time, is the field of nutrition is so broad and applicable in so many areas.  When I graduated in 1991, the main focus was clinical.  I wasn’t interested in working in a hospital.  I opened my own private practice.  Just to show you how narrow things were back then.  I contacted restaurants to consult with them on healthier menus, but the owners didn’t think progressively at that time.  Now look at how many restaurants hire dietitians.

Quick question:  My husband and I watch a lot of NFL football.  Every time some athlete who attended Ohio State says the name of the school, it’s done with an emphasis on “the” Ohio State.  Why?  I got my master’s from the University of Washington but no one ever says “The” University of Washington.  I will say it does set your school apart.

I look forward to hearing from you when you’re ready to start writing.  Either contact us at 425-778-1340 or by email at r.wennik@affordableeditingservices.com before you start to write the book.  Our services include Writing Coaching, which you’ll find so helpful in laying a secure foundation upon which to write your book.  We also can help you with book design and publishing.

Happy Holidays!

All the best,

Roberta Wennik

robertawennik@advantagediets.com

Roberta Schwartz Wennik, MS, RDN
      Advantage Diets – Lose weight according to your personality type.
      Affordable Editing Services – “No author should be without an editor and coach. Let us be yours!”
  • Anna Mason

November 27, 2018 at 3:46 pm

As a dietitian freelancing in the marketing and writing realms, I love seeing resources like this pop up to make establishing content and a voice more accessible to anyone interested. In the Unconventional RD’s Facebook group yesterday, we were chatting about how some private practice owners cringe at the thought of blogging. And then there are people like us who get a little giddy to write. We’re the perfect team, it just takes the connection and then partnership!

Anna Mason, RDN
  • Colleen Wysocki-Woods

November 28, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Freelance proofreading & editing is my specialty! While I don’t offer publishing and book design, I can offer a very reasonable, negotiable quote on proofing and editing during each stage of the writing project, whether it’s a book, a blog, or second pair of eyes on a website.

My first career allowed me to work as a corporate writer/editor for numerous Fortune 500 companies’ Marketing & Communications Departments.  I oversaw Quality Review of sales presentations, multi-million dollar proposals, and legal documents. I’ve also worked as a copywriter for non-profits. I originally attended graduate school for Teaching English (Lit) and worked as a Graduate Teaching Asst. where I helped undergraduate and graduate students with their writing projects.

Everyday I see typos on health care websites, blogs, and publications that come off as not only unprofessional, but makes the reader question the author’s credibility. I’m happy to help out my fellow RDs in this area.

Email: ZESTNutritionService@gmail.com / Phone: (970)889-5303

Colleen Wysocki-Woods, MS, RDN